Thursday, January 13, 2011

I hate Business 40.

Background:  I have two jobs.  I work at a medical school in the morning and at a community college in the afternoon.

I had an extremely frustrating experience trying to get from one job to the other today:

1) I was starving and had a killer craving for Subway.  I was also determined not to give in to any of the fast food grease-athons that litter every highway.  Apparently there is no Subway between the hospital and the Kernersville campus of Forsyth Tech, so I drove all the way to Greensboro to find myself a sandwich. I ended up at Sheetz - there are no Subways anywhere!  This seems impossible.  But I had an hour... so why not?  I got my grilled chicken sub and happily trotted back towards Kernersville.

2) The Colfax exit, which I use to access the Kernersville campus, is only accessible from east-bound Business 40, and I was headed west.  Solution: take the next exit up and turn around.  Easy, right? WRONG.  The on-ramp from 66 and the off-ramp for Colfax are parallel to each other.  Like this:



I did not have enough grumbly sounds or random syllables to convey exactly how frustrating I found this phenomenon.  So of course I had to continue all the way to Sandy Ridge Road (pretty much back in Greensboro), turn around again, go back ANOTHER exit towards Winston-Salem, turn around again, and then proceed to the Colfax exit.  Like this:


This whole process took about 25 minutes. I am surprised I did not end up with vertigo... kind of like riding the Gravitron at the fair.

All while I ate my sandwich. Which was delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to toss 440 in there. What is extra hate-able about that ring of bullshit is that they label the two directions "North" and "South". It is a fucking circle. The roads, no matter which direction, will, at some point, assume all possible directions. North. South. North by north west. It's all in there because it's a loop. Then, on top of that, people always give directions like "get on the outer belt" and me, not being from that neck of the woods, I don't know if that is the "North" or "South" directions. So, yeah, I feel ya.

    ReplyDelete